Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yoga, yoga, and more yoga...

I've been on a massive yoga kick lately. Went to yoga class last week tuesday, sunday, and then again yesterday. It's a bit of a surprise to me how good it is for post-run recovery, even with it being a bit exerting. I was having some achilles issues with my right leg, went to a 60min yoga class, and bam! gone. The stretching didn't work nearly that well after the run. There's definiately something to this yoga stuff. Maybe it'll make me into the flexible gumby I aspire to be :)

One thing I find really interesting about yoga is the variety in methods of instruction, especially as it relates to the strength of attachment to eastern religion. Some seem to go pretty deep on the religion ties, where others seem to place less focus there and more on the movement and position. Have to say I have a strong preference for the movement/position focus... I find myself squarely in the Christian camp, but still can appreciate the origins and benefits of the practice. Ultimately I find a great deal more in common than different in their lines of thinking, but normally I'm not looking to the gym to be the place that religious instruction is given, ya know? :)


The fun thing is that now, I can do this...


... all sorts of craziness is coming in the future for me. Cirque d'Soleil here I come!

2 comments:

plain-jane said...

Does that mean you can do scissor kicks? (Been on an ABDC - america's best dance crew - kick lately.)

Shorey said...

Crow (bakasana)! I just got king pigeon, myself, after having worked on it for several years. Where do you practice yoga?

Those who want to 'See Tom Tri' :)