Sunday, June 28, 2009

One week ago I became an Ironman...

Back in real life for one week now. It's wild how much of a transition it's been to get back to the normal pace of life. There are some perks to being through the race... sleeping in, staying out a little too late, having one beer more than is sensible when training :), ... everyone's been in a celebrating mood since the race.

So, a few post IM thoughts from IMCDA 2009...

- I have the best brother anyone could ever have. It's quite a hardship on him professionally to be out of the office, and to have Juli and Matt prioritize being there for this event meant more to me than I could express in a blog. Wow. I just can't imagine what going through this experience would have been like without having their love and support before, during, and after. Going through the finishers chute was super emotional for me, but seeing them there screaming their heads off in the front row (probably having had to fight their way in to get such a great spot) was amazing. Matt, you have no idea how special your being there made the whole weekend for me.


- My friends are rockin. Chris and Kevin are not only super rockin dudes in regular life, but we also share a passion for the sport of Triathlon that enables us all to have shared experiences that just can't be had any other way. I'll remember how rockin it was to run the marathon portion of the race with Chris, my homie who I did the greater majority of the training to get there with (and not to mention his wife Steph and son Ryland, who both were there to share this crazy ride with - you are both rock stars!). I'll remember how Kevin was there for me to do whatever I didn't have hands to do myself (and some stuff I did!) all weekend long, from leaving Austin through the race and then returning to Austin. I'll also remember how fun the warm-up swim the day before was... just such a cool experience. Fellas, you kick major azz, and I'm a lucky dude to have such rockin friends.

There are a ton of people who were a huge part of this experience for me... I'm sure I've left a few thank yous out. There were so many people who played a role I'm sure that's the case. For you, please know that every moment of encouragement, help, motivation, companionship, ... that you were there for was there with me as I crossed the line in CDA, and will continue to be with me as life moves forward beyond there.

I am an Ironman, and I didn't get there alone. To my friends and family, I love you all very much.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Yeah! you had a great day. Great time for a first IM.

Those who want to 'See Tom Tri' :)