Friday, April 10, 2009

Thoughts from Lonestar (brief race report)

And now, for the obligatory medal picture...


The Lonestar half was fun, and will be a fixture in my schedule moving forward. Fun.

The race...

Swim: Ocean swim, two turns, as straightforward as a swim gets. The saltwater was an issue for some, but other than getting a salty taste in my mouth no issue there. I really enjoyed it, and had a good swim split. Not a PR for the half iron swim distance for me, but close.

Bike: The most accurate thing I could say would be that the bike was almost exactly like riding a trainer for 56mi :) There were very few turns in the course, and it was near dead flat. This is a course that was built for speed. There were some big numbers posted for average speed. Big time PR for me for the half iron bike leg.

Run: This is where things fell apart for me... wasn't aware how far I was behind in my hydration until I got a short bit into the run - it quickly became apparent to me that not only was I dehydrated, but I had lost a ton of salt. I'm not normally a salty sweater, but I was that day! Not even close to a good time for me in the run, but a great learning experience and certainly something to build on.

All in all, a great weekend and a very fun race. The run was a good character builder, and a good reminder that I need to re-examine my nutrition plan; I think it's time for me to make my nutrition plan as automatic as possible and end the ongoing experiment.

Many, many thanks to all my T3 friends and other fellow competitors - even for those who had a tough day, there was a great feeling of camaraderie on the course.

Short and sweet today - more to come on life as well as tri :)

1 comment:

2_TallMD said...

Technicolor yawn, baby!

Those who want to 'See Tom Tri' :)